On 13 February 2017, the Iranian Minister of Science, Research and Technology, Dr. Farhadi, presented the 30th Kharazmi International Award to this year’s distinguished laureates.
The Kharazmi International Award, administered by the Iranian Research Organisation for Science and Technology (IROST), was created in 1987. Since its inception, UNESCO has supported the honorary prize, which has been awarded annually with an aim to encourage and reward research performance, production and innovation.
During the 30th Kharazmi International Award celebration, Ms. Esther Kuisch Laroche, Director of the UNESCO Cluster Office in Tehran, read out a special message from UNESCO’s Director General for the occasion.
“In addition to highlighting excellence in scientific fields, the Khwarizmi International Award plays a pivotal role in strengthening research and innovation capacities worldwide and in promoting admirable role models for future generations. At a time when the world will need an additional 1.2 million researchers by 2030, the impact of the award is all the more important in shining light on the urgency of research for more inclusive and sustainable development”, said Ms. Kuisch Laroche.
“The life and accomplishments of the great mathematician and astronomer Al-Khwarizmi set an outstanding example to be studied and shared, for its tolerance, openness and humanity, and its commitment to bringing individuals and cultures together for the sake of scientific progress for all.”
This year, 13 Iranian and 6 international researchers were awarded for their important scientific achievements.
UNESCO extends its heartfelt congratulations to all the Award Laureats, who provide inspiration for young women and women across the world.
- 7 Dec 2017 - Chogān and Kamantcheh from Iran inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 29 Nov 2017 - UNESCO supports IIEES in conducting community-based simultaneous earthquake and safety drill in Iran
- 15 Nov 2017 - UNESCO celebrates 2017 World Science Day at Tehran Book Garden
- 2 Nov 2017 - Two Iranian Projects win the 2017 Asia- Pacific Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation
- 2 Nov 2017 - Jami' al-Tawarikh inscribed in UNESCO Memory of the World International Register