On 8-9 March 2017, the UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office organized a field visit to Isfahan for representatives of embassies and international organizations in Tehran.
The main purpose of the visit was to familiarize the participants with the work of Isfahan Regional Centre for Business Incubators and Science & Technology Parks Development (IRIS) under the Auspices of UNESCO, located in Isfahan’s Science and Technology Town (ISTT).
IRIS was established in May 2010 following an agreement between the Islamic Republic of Iran and UNESCO. The Center has been mandated to address and resolve the problems currently limiting the success of Science Parks and Technology Incubators in developing countries. The main goals of the center are the promotion of science, technology and innovation as an engine for sustainable development; facilitating technology transfer; capacity building; providing policy advice, facilitating the exchange of international experiences and best practices, and conducting research on Science Parks and Technology Incubators development.
The Mayor of Isfahan welcomed the diplomats who participated in the field visit and the President of ISTT, Dr. Mehdi Keshmiri, and Director of IRIS, Dr. Mohammad Javad Omidi, briefed them on the work of IRIS and ISTT.
After that, the participants went on a tour of ISTT and had the opportunity to visit several innovative companies. Nearly half of the companies located in ISTT are run by women and the diplomats were able to discuss with one of the successful female entrepreneurs.
The next day, they went on a cultural tour of Isfahan (organized by the Iranian Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts and Tourism Organisation) and visited the main cultural sites of the city, including its UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
For more information about UNESCO’s global work in Science, Technology and Innovation, please see:
- 7 Dec 2017 - Chogān and Kamantcheh from Iran inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 29 Nov 2017 - UNESCO supports IIEES in conducting community-based simultaneous earthquake and safety drill in Iran
- 15 Nov 2017 - UNESCO celebrates 2017 World Science Day at Tehran Book Garden
- 2 Nov 2017 - Two Iranian Projects win the 2017 Asia- Pacific Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation
- 2 Nov 2017 - Jami' al-Tawarikh inscribed in UNESCO Memory of the World International Register