UNIMA Iran held the second meeting of UNIMA’s Heritage Commission in Tehran's City Theater Complex, on 2-3 September 2017.
UNIMA is a non-governmental organization affiliated with UNESCO. UNIMA was entrusted by UNESCO with the assessment of the dossiers about the classification of master pieces of oral and intangible heritage of humanity concerning puppetry.
The two-day meeting was opened by welcoming remarks of Dr. Hamid Reza Ardalan, Member of UNIMA’s Executive Committee and President of the Heritage Commission of UNIMA.
The opening continued by remarks of Ms Mahta Mohegh, Programme Assistant for Culture of UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office, who emphasized UNESCO's role to protect, preserve and safeguard cultural heritage around the world. She mentioned that cultural heritage does not end at monuments and collections of objects. It also includes all the traditions or living expressions, inherited from our ancestors and passed on to our descendants, such as oral traditions, performing arts, social practices, rituals, festive events, knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe, or the knowledge and skills to produce traditional crafts.
“Puppetry and the art of puppet-making are major elements of intangible cultural heritage in communities around the world. Puppet theatre for communities is not only a popular form of traditional entertainment, and often an integral part of traditional rituals and festive events, but it is also often a way of conveying a vision of the world, and an educational tool with messages on moral values”, said Ms Mohegh.
Members of the UNIMA Heritage Committee from Brussels, Canada and the Netherlands made presentations about puppetry techniques and figures.
During the meeting the World Encyclopedia of Puppetry was also introduced.
The meeting was attended by national experts from the Iranian Cultural Heritage Handicrafts and Tourism Organization (ICHHTO) and several puppetry museums.
For more information about UNIMA please see:
- 21 May 2018 - UNESCO and International Council of Museums commemorate International Day of Museums in Iran
- 20 May 2018 - UNESCO Joins Expert Meeting in Iran on Intellectual Property Rights in Cultural Heritage
- 16 May 2018 - Allame Tabatabai University Inaugurates UNESCO Chair for Communication of Science and Technology
- فروردین 97 - دعوت یونسکو از ایرانیان برای شرکت در مراسم گرامیداشت روز جهانی تنوع فرهنگی در مجموعه تاریخی سعد آباد تهران
- 13 May 2018 - UNESCO Invites Iranians to Celebrate the Cultural Diversity Day at Sa’ad Abad Complex in Tehran