On 13 September 2017, UNESCO kicked off a week of celebrations on the occasion of the International Day of Peace, with an event at the House of Artists in Tehran.
The event consisted of a series of short artistic performances, including poetry, music, film and theater.
Mr. Rajabi Memar, Director General of the Iranian Artists' Forum, welcomed the guests and talked about the important role of art for peace. "Art and artists must make all efforts to build peace", he said.
Ms. Esther Kuisch Laroche, Director and Representative of the UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office, talked about UNESCO's mission to create solidarity among human kind, by fostering greater dialogue, understanding and trust between peoples. "At UNESCO, we believe that education, sciences, culture and arts are all important tools to bring us closer together", she said.
"Music and arts have a unique way of transcending boundaries and connecting people around the world - and across generations, cultures and gender, in a very powerful and personal manner", stated Ms. Kuisch Laroche in her opening speech.
The International Day of Peace is celebrated globally, each year, on the 21st of September. This year, the UNESCO Tehran Cluster Office will be marking this important day with a series of events organized by different partners.
For more information on the International Day of Peace, please visit:
- 7 Dec 2017 - Chogān and Kamantcheh from Iran inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 29 Nov 2017 - UNESCO supports IIEES in conducting community-based simultaneous earthquake and safety drill in Iran
- 15 Nov 2017 - UNESCO celebrates 2017 World Science Day at Tehran Book Garden
- 2 Nov 2017 - Two Iranian Projects win the 2017 Asia- Pacific Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation
- 2 Nov 2017 - Jami' al-Tawarikh inscribed in UNESCO Memory of the World International Register