University sport is very highly regarded in the world of sport and education. Fully integrated into the learning curriculum of the citizens of today and tomorrow, it represents a vital aspect of individuals’ development and fulfilment. The pedantic repetition of “Anima Sana in Corpore Sano / A Healthy Soul in a Healthy Body” is not enough to attain the ideal of harmony between body and soul. This maxim must be translated into specific public policies and practices in order to give it substance throughout people’s lives, starting at the youngest age. University sport is central to such measures: it nurtures a love for sport, gives it structure and allows champions to flourish, while passing on the values of an open mind, fair play, solidarity and excellence, which benefit society as a whole.
International Day of University Sport is an opportunity to underline the social role played by universities and their curricula, making sport available for everyone in order to foster the regular practice of a physical activity in the greatest number of people. It also allows UNESCO to reaffirm its committed support to personal and collective development through sport and education, for the spread of a genuine sports culture, which we believe inherent to a culture of peace. Those are the stated principles of the International Charter of Physical Education, Physical Activity and Sport and the International Convention against Doping in Sport. In this spirit, UNESCO is proud to support the International University Sports Federation and work together towards upholding a high-quality sporting environment so that all societies dare to dream faster, higher and stronger.
- 16 Oct 2017 - Korean Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport attends UNESCO Strategic Partnership Meeting in Tehran
- 3 Oct 2017 - UNESCO holds three-day International Expert Meeting
- 21 Sep 2017 - UNESCO Celebrates International Day of Peace
- 13 September 2017 - UNESCO and the Iranian Artists' Forum celebrate Peace Day
- 10 September 2017 - The Literacy Movement Organization of Iran launches new Educational Mobile Application