The 12th session of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage takes place in Jeju Island, Republic of Korea, from Monday 4 to Saturday 9 December 2017.
On the fourth day of the meeting, two elements from the Islamic Republic of Iran were inscribed on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. The two inscriptions are Chogān, a horse-riding game accompanied by music and storytelling, and the art of crafting and playing with Kamantcheh/Kamancha, a bowed string musical instrument. The second element is jointly inscribed by the Islamic Republic of Iran and Azerbaijan.
This year, the Committee considers six nominations for inclusion on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding designed to rally international cooperation and assistance for threatened cultural expressions. Thirty-four nominations for inscription on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity will also be examined alongside two proposals for the Register of Good Safeguarding Practices and two International Assistance Requests for safeguarding plans or inventories.
- 12 August 2018 - Celebration of International Youth Day in Iran Highlights Role of Youth at All Levels of Policy-Making
- 2 August 2018 - UNESCO Assists Iran in Restoration of Two Historical Sites in Kermanshah Affected by 2017 Earthquake
- 20 June 2018 - UNESCO Calls for Stronger Actions to Prevent Marine Plastic Pollution
- 21 May 2018 - UNESCO and International Council of Museums commemorate International Day of Museums in Iran
- 20 May 2018 - UNESCO Joins Expert Meeting in Iran on Intellectual Property Rights in Cultural Heritage