Tehran – 23 April 2018: UNESCO and the University of Tehran celebrated the 5th International Day of Sport for Development and Peace to highlight the importance of investment in physical activities for the present and future of the country.
At a ceremony that was hosted by the Faculty of Sports and Physical Education of the University of Tehran, Alexander Schischlik, Chief of the Youth and Sports Section at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris underscored Iran’s impressive achievements in the fields of sports and physical education –particularly for persons with disabilities. He stated that Iran could share its experiences and best practices with other countries around the world.
“Iran benefits from a very rich sporting history not only in the main international disciplines, but also has an invaluable heritage of traditional sports” he added.
Ms. Esther Kuisch-Laroche, Director of the UNESCO Cluster Office in Tehran, as one of the key note speakers of the event said that sport is a very powerful tool to strengthen social ties and networks, and to promote the ideals of fraternity, solidarity, non-violence, and justice.
“Sports also play a significant role as a promoter of social integration and economic development in different cultural and political contexts” she added.
UNESCO as the United Nations’ lead agency for Physical Education and Sport provides assistance and guidance services for governments, NGOs, and experts to debate the evolving challenges of physical education and sport.
The Organization also offers expertise in the design and implementation of development programmes in the domain of sport and plays the secretariat role for the Intergovernmental Committee for Physical Education and Sport (CIGEPS).
Since 1952, UNESCO has been working actively to promote the power and cross-cutting potential of sports and to facilitate access to physical education in both formal and non-formal settings.
In 2013, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 6 April as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace, to celebrate the contribution of sports and physical activity to education, human development, healthy lifestyles and a peaceful world.
- 21 May 2018 - UNESCO and International Council of Museums commemorate International Day of Museums in Iran
- 20 May 2018 - UNESCO Joins Expert Meeting in Iran on Intellectual Property Rights in Cultural Heritage
- 16 May 2018 - Allame Tabatabai University Inaugurates UNESCO Chair for Communication of Science and Technology
- فروردین 97 - دعوت یونسکو از ایرانیان برای شرکت در مراسم گرامیداشت روز جهانی تنوع فرهنگی در مجموعه تاریخی سعد آباد تهران
- 13 May 2018 - UNESCO Invites Iranians to Celebrate the Cultural Diversity Day at Sa’ad Abad Complex in Tehran