I am deeply concerned by today’s announcement that the United States will be withdrawing from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and will begin reinstating US sanctions.
I have consistently reiterated that the JCPOA represents a major achievement in nuclear non-proliferation and diplomacy and has contributed to regional and international peace and security.
It is essential that all concerns regarding the implementation of the Plan be addressed through the mechanisms established in the JCPOA. Issues not directly related to the JCPOA should be addressed without prejudice to preserving the agreement and its accomplishments.
I call on other JCPOA participants to abide fully by their respective commitments under the JCPOA and on all other Member States to support this agreement.
- 4 October 2018 - Summary of the ICJ Order (Iran vs. United States of America)
- 27 Sep 2018 - Secretary-General’s meeting with H.E. Mr. Hassan Rouhani, President of the Islamic Republic of Iran
- 25 Sep 2018 - Security Council Press Statement on Terrorist Attack in Ahvaz, Islamic Republic of Iran
- 23 Sep 2018 - Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General On Iran
- 17 Sep 2018 - Beauty (and taste!) are on the inside