Tehran, 17 May 2018 – The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) in the Islamic Republic of Iran procured and trained eight drug detecting dogs and provided training for eight dog handlers from Iranian Customs K9 Centre. The training was held immediately after delivery of 8 drug detecting dogs by UNODC and continued for six consecutive weeks.
The training aimed to familiarize the K9 handlers with basic and essential information dogs’ physiology, healthcare and body language as well as training both dogs and handlers on search techniques for finding hidden concealments. The trained handlers and their dogs will be stationed in different Customs border crossings around the country to conduct search on trucks, containers and cargos passing through the legal entry points.
Iran remains as one of the major transit route for drug trafficking from Afghanistan to European countries. UNODC has built a strong partnership with the Government of Iran in several areas including the capacity building for the Iranian law enforcements and has been providing technical assistant to the Iranian Government in their fight against illicit trafficking of drugs and precursors.
The dogs being procured under UNODC Iran Sub-programme 1 activities were trained on basic obedience and the searching skills in Netherlands by Dutch certified K9 Instructors. The training held in Iran, in addition to providing complementary training to the dogs and matching them with their handlers, contributed to increasing the knowledge of the Iranian handlers in Customs K9 Centre and introduced them to the high international standards of training K9 dogs that is currently being utilized by European certified K9 instructors. The participants of this training course developed knowledge which will be useful in their daily work and will support them in better finding hidden concealments.
The event was organized as part of the activities foreseen in the framework of the Sup-programme 1 “Border Management and Illicit Trafficking” of UNODC Country Partnership Programme (2015-2019) for the Islamic Republic of Iran through the generous donation of the Government of Japan.
- خرداد 97 - ملاقات نماینده دفتر مقابله با موادمخدر و جرم سازمان ملل متحد در جمهوری اسلامی ایران و رئیس سازمان بازرسی کل کشور
- 30 May 2018 - UNODC Representative and the President of General Inspection Organization meet
- خرداد 97 - نماینده کشوری دفتر مقابله با موادمخدر و جرم سازمان ملل متحد در ایران و مدیرکل اینترپل تهران دیدار و بر گسترش همکاری ها تأکید کردند
- 22 May 2018 - UNODC Iran Representative and Director General of Interpol Tehran meet, underline expanding further cooperation
- اردیبهشت 97 - دیدار نماینده کشوری دفتر مقابله با موادمخدر و جرم سازمان ملل متحد در ایران و مدیرکل اداره امور بین الملل قوه قضائیه