Over 1,000 health facilities destroyed or damaged: UNICEF vaccines cold chain equipment arrives in country
TEHRAN, 19 April 2019 - Devastating flooding in three quarters of Iran’s provinces has affected 10million people, of whom 2 million are severely impacted and 500,000 displaced – half of them children. Over 1,000 health facilities and 1,000 schools have been destroyed or severely damaged forcing 100,000 children out of school and depriving thousands of essential healthcare.
UNICEF’s vaccine cold chain equipment, including 200 vaccine carriers and 100 cold boxes, arrived in-country tonight. The equipment will help restore essential immunization services for children in affected provinces and prevent the spread of diseases. Eighty vaccine refrigerators have also been dispatched.
The needs of flood-affected children in Iran are getting more acute by the day and more supplies are urgently needed.
To provide emergency assistance to flood-affected children in Iran, UNICEF has appealed for US$9.8 million. To date, UNICEF is facing a US$8 million funding gap. Additional child health, education, water, sanitation and hygiene supplies will be purchased once funding is secured.
Notes to editors
Contributions made into accounts recently established for the flood response will allow UNICEF to procure essential supplies from our overseas supply hubs and transport them into Iran. Donations can be made here.
For more information:
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. Across more than 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, to build a better world for everyone.
For more information about UNICEF Iran and our work for children, visit: www.unicef.org/iran
- 4 August 2019 - New UNICEF Iran Representative submitted her credentials to the Foreign Minister
- مرداد 98 - نماینده جدید یونیسف ایران اعتبارنامه خود را به وزیر امور خارجه تقدیم کرد
- تیر 98 - دومین مراسم مشارکت یونیسف با بخش خصوصی با حضور رهبران کسبوکارهای برتر ایران برگزار شد
- 3 July 2019- UNICEF Iran and the Vice Presidency for Science and Technology create a brand new partnership
- تیر 98 -همکاری جدید یونیسف ایران و معاونت علمی و فناوری ریاست جمهوری برای ترویج و حمایت از نوآوری برای کودکان