TEHRAN, 20 June 2019 (UNIC) – United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in his message on World Refugee Day, 20 June 2019, recognized the humanity of countries that host refugees even as they struggle with their own economic challenges and security concerns.
The full text his message reads:
On World Refugee Day, my thoughts are with the more than 70 million women, children and men – refugees and internally displaced persons -- who have been forced to flee war, conflict and persecution.
This is an astonishing number – twice what it was 20 years ago.
Most of the forcibly displaced came from just a handful of countries: Syria, Afghanistan, South Sudan, Myanmar and Somalia. In the past 18 months, millions more have fled Venezuela.
I want to recognize the humanity of countries that host refugees even as they struggle with their own economic challenges and security concerns.
We must match their hospitality with development and investment.
It is regrettable that their example is not followed by all. We must re-establish the integrity of the international protection regime.
The Global Compact on Refugees, adopted last December, offers a blueprint for modern refugee response.
What refugees need most urgently is peace.
Millions of people around the world have joined UNHCR’s World Refugee Day campaign and are taking steps, big and small, in solidarity with refugees. Will you take a step with refugees too?
- 18 July 2019 - Over 820 million people suffering from hunger; new UN report reveals stubborn realities of ‘immense’ global challenge
- تیر 98 - بیش از 820 میلیون انسان از گرسنگی رنج می برند؛ گزارش جدید سازمان ملل متحد حقایق دیرپا این معضل کلان جهانی را فاش می کند
- 18 July 2019 - “Global Citizenship” and Nelson Mandela
- تیر 98 - شهروندی جهانی و نلسون ماندلا
- 18 July 2019 - Roundtable discussion on Mandela’s immortal views on peace and dialogue