TEHRAN, 3 August 2019 (UNIC) -- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has repeatedly called on all involved parties to refrain from any actions that may lead to the escalation of tensions in the Persian Gulf. Speaking at UN Headquarters on Thursday 1 August 2019, he said: “I am worried about rising tensions in the Persian Gulf. A minor miscalculation could lead to a major confrontation. I stress the need to respect the rights and duties relating to navigation through the Strait of Hormuz and its adjacent waters in accordance with international law”. He also added: “When I ask for maximum restraint, I ask for maximum restraint at all levels.”
Speaking about the situation across the globe, the UN Secretary General has previously said: “Unfortunately, multilateral efforts are under immense stress. Globally, this is a time of multiplying conflicts, advancing climate change, deepening inequality and rising tensions over trade. There is anxiety, uncertainty and unpredictability across the world. Trust is on the decline, within and among nations. Key assumptions have been upended, key endeavours undermined, and key institutions undercut. It often seems that the more global the threat, the less able we are to cooperate. This is very dangerous in the face of today’s challenges, for which global approaches are essential. In this difficult context, we need to inspire a return to international cooperation.”
The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office in the Islamic Republic of Iran reiterates the comments made by the Secretary-General.
- 19 August 2019 - Protect humanitarians from harm - Guterres
- مرداد 98 - فراخوان گوترش برای حفظ امنیت امدادگران
- 18 August 2019 - The Republic Of Korea and UNIDO Support the Development of Sustainable Settlements for Afghan Refugees in Iran
- مرداد 98 - حمایت مالی کره جنوبی از طرح سه ساله یونیدو برای توسعه پایدار مهمان شهرهای پذیرای پناهندگان افغان در ایران
- 15 August 2019 - Educational workshop on peace and international security